Summary: If weather conditions make it necessary to change the schedule, the district will communicate the decision in several ways.
Bad weather or blackouts / Internet
Seattle Public Schools are closely monitoring weather conditions and will notify students, staff and families of any updates impacting the school day as soon as possible.
Due to the possibility of power / technology outages, bridge failures, damaged power lines and tree branches, there may be school bus delays and lunch menu changes as a result. We also ask you to exercise caution when going to work or school. Please allow yourself sufficient time to travel.
When determining whether school schedule changes are necessary, Seattle public school officials carefully monitor the forecast and work with city and county officials on weather and road information.
SPS encourages families to stay informed about inclement weather.
If weather conditions make it necessary to change the schedule, the district will communicate the decision by the following methods and in this order:
- TV and radio stations: Checking local TV or radio stations is an effective and efficient way to find out if there is a schedule change.
- Local TV channels: TV KOMO 4, KING 5, KIRO 7, Q13 FOX
- Radio: KOMO AM 1000, KIRO 97.3 FM
- District social networks: Facebook SeattlePublicSchools and Twitter @SeaPubSchools
- District and school websites: We post school timetable updates on district and school websites.
- Phone calls, emails and SMS: Families will receive phone call, email, SMS and mobile app notification, but other communication channels may be faster to check.